My Fiancée, being an absolute star, bought me Alan Wake on the Xbox 360 last week.
This game had been on my radar for a while as I’m a huge horror film / Stephen King fan and the trailers on YouTube made it look like a mixture of a King novel with a X-files episode.
From the very beginning the game is all about the story and with the main character being a writer it only confirmed my Stephen King theory. Hell, in the very first line that comes out of the main character mouth he mentioned King’s name. If Alan had been hit by an out of control van in the first 30 seconds I would of even thought King was on the writing staff.
Anyway about the game:
Alan Wake is having what can only be called a major creative burn out. So decides to take a holiday to Bright Falls with his wife, Alice. Unknown to Alan, Alice has set up a meeting with a local Doctor to help him through his writing block. This leads to a heated exchange between the couple and Alan walks out leaving Alice alone.
Next thing you know there’s a scream and Alice has been taken by an unknown dark entity. Alan jumps into a lake after seeing Alice under the water and the next thing he knows he wakes up sitting in his wrecked car with seven days missing with no memory of what’s happened.
The dark entity has started to possess some of the locals towns folk who attack Alan on his unavoidable woodland walks. Using handy torches, which have been left around Bright Falls like there was an explosion in a nearby torch factory. Alan can burn off the Darkness which surrounds and protects the attackers by focused the beam of the torch. Then using the handy assortment of guns, apparently the local gun shop exploded as well, he can plug them with a few holes to make them evaporate into the air like ash on the wind.
This game is all about story, but coming from Remedy, who made the brilliant noire games Max Pain 1 & 2, you know they were going to get the story and theme right.
- Theme – Dark and moody. Lovely!
- Story – Plenty of it! Nice!
- Effects – The torch light is brilliant and the mist around the trees really has you jumping at bushes. Excellent!
- Character – There is some great comic relief from Barry. Whoop! Whoop!
This is a brilliant game and I enjoyed it………but there were a few downsides to the game.
- Its short – I completed the game in a couple of sittings giving about 10 hours of play and I’m crap at gaming.
- The ending – Its a cliff hanger and there are already two DLC’s for it. Lucky my game case contained a voucher to let me have the first DLC for free.
- The faces – Not the best facial models ever.
- Woods – The main theme of this game is that if you go into the woods at night guess what? Your going to get your ass handed to you by a axe wielding maniac. Can you keep Alan out of the woods? NO…..he’s like a friggin tree magnet and at the drop of a hat he’s off hiking in the foot hills AGAIN!
Even with these bad points I still recommend that you play the game. Also its been out a while so Amazon has it quite cheap at the moment. Go on, treat yourself.